Join now - be part of our community!

Strange Sound Issues with FS415B - Please help before guarantee expires!!!

Boris71
Visitor

Strange Sound Issues with FS415B - Please help before guarantee expires!!!

Hi, hoping someone can help, please?
Had an FS415B since February of last year and everything's been fine, but over the last week or so a strange problem has begun occurring with the sound - it's similar to the sound you get when a vinyl record is sticking, but at a very high speed - something not unlike the effect they used in Max Headroom (for those that can remember).
I noticed it on some MP3's I'd downloaded, then on some live streamed music and now it's even occurring on the start up chimes - a kind of sticking distortion.

Can anyone help, the guarantee runs out very soon and I need to get it looked at if it's not something I can sort myself?

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Boris71,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

If your warranty runs out in February then i would register a case with Vaio-Link as soon as possible..

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Boris71 and welcome to the forum.

Just a thought, but have you defragment your hard drive recently? It may or may not help but worth a try...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Boris71
Visitor

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Thalamus, just registered a case, cheers.

Rich, wouldn't have a clue how to defragment my hard drive - I'm a complete ignoramus on these things (some would say many others as well) - is it difficult to do?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Boris,

To defragment your hard drive..

Goto Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter..

A new window should appear, highlight the C drive and click defragment, once this has completed, do the same with the D drive.. (if you wish you can press Analyse, this will inform you if windows thinks the drive need to be defragmented or not.)

Boris71
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus, I'll give this a go.
Fingers crossed it sorts the probelm.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:four_leaf_clover: Let us know if it helps.. :slight_smile:

Boris71
Visitor

Morning,

Defragmented over night - but at work now and didn't have a chance to check before I left this morning - will check it out when I get back tonight.

Something else I stumbled across on this forum though, was a thread started by Masood KH on September 28th - where Blencogo and Resonate help radie and DDF solve an issue that sounds very much like mine:

http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=36031&offset=30

DDF solved it by

: i just desintalled the drivers of the Primary IDE, and rebooted. No hotfix no nothing

It sounds like this could be worth a go if defragmenting hasn't helped?
Is this a simple operation - I've googled, but can't find any instructions.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Is this a simple operation - I've googled, but can't find any instructions.

Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device manager. Locate IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and expand. Right click Primary IDE Channel and select Uninstall, and then restart your computer.

When Windows restarts the device will be recognised and the relevant drivers installed.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Boris71
Visitor

Excellent, thanks Rich.