Join now - be part of our community!

Touchpad sometimes results in inverse pointer movements

Touchpad sometimes results in inverse pointer movements

Hi, after three months of use my SZ71XN touchpad is sometimes operating inverse after reboot, i.e. if I move my finger right the screen pointer moves left and up results in a movement down, and vice versa. This happens about half of the times I start the computer. The only resolution is to reboot and hope for the best.

I cannot find any settings at all for the mouse or the touchpad that is able to correct the fault. It seems I have the latest driver.

Anyone else having the same problems?

Anyone knows a better solution than reboot?

BTW, after installing linux Ubuntu (Hardy) I have the same problem. This indicates a HW fault.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Machin_truc_bidule ,

your touchpad problem has been mentioned before but unfortunately as far as I am aware no solution was found.. :slight_frown:

Firstly I would suggest you contact Sony Vaio support, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

Sony Vaio Support should be aware of this issue.. :wink:

Note though that it appears, from what I have read, that a full recovery of your Vaio does not resolve this issue..

After searching around it appears that the general thought is that this problem is caused by a software conflict.. :thinking:

I would suggest to start, try installing a newer version of the alps pointing device driver, I think version 7.0.501.11 is the newest..

Use the following link to download the: Alps pointing device

Does that correct the problem?

If the problem continues try shutting your Vaio down, ( not sleep or hibernate) then turn off the wireless switch.

Reboot your Vaio and once all the start-up processes have loaded, turn on your wireless switch again.

Does that correct the problem?

Thanks, your information sounds reasonable. I didn't mention that I've noticed a few times how the pointer moves in the right direction during startup (in Win Vista) and after about 20s suddenly turns inverse. This could as you say be the result of a sw conflict. However, I cannot say what I may have installed at the time.

I will give it a try to update the Alps drivers and post the results here.

BTW, I have contacted Sony Vaio support but not heard anything yet.

Do I understand you correctly about the wireless switch, that it may be part of the race conflict?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome, good luck.. :four_leaf_clover:

Many thanks Thalamus! I believe your driver did the trick. At first, once, after updating the driver it moved in the wrong direction. But now after 10 full restarts to verify the behaviour the pointer has moved correctly all the time. I also applied your trick with the wireless switch even though I do not get the point. javascript:smilie(':smileylove:')

When I had problems I used Alps Electric driver 7.0.501.9 (dated 19/9/2007) which is the latest version that Vista is able to update through internet. Your link with version 7.0.501.11 solves the problem.

Sony Vaio Support responded this morning and propose 1) "You could try to reset the Bios." and secondly 2) "If the Bios reset does not solve the issue You could also try to do full system recovery.". Two actions I doubt and as you pointed out from previous threads a full recovery did not solve the problem for others.

Conclusion: The problem is likely a software race condition during startup. Which I noticed a few times when suddenly the pointer changed direction during startup (after about 20s). And the solution is a later driver than Vista provides with online update.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: Glad the mouse problem has been solved.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.es_ES.title
rosoria67
Visitor

Hello, first of all excuse me for my bad english,well I have the same problem I tried everything, installed newest driver etc, at first it looked like to work O.K, but then some days after the problem return, so at last I´ve sended my VAIO SZ71WN/C to Sony for repairing it.
Best regards