Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO VGN-BX397XP battery problem - cannot start without external power

VAIO VGN-BX397XP battery problem - cannot start without external power

I have a strange problem with my new VAIO. Everytime i start XP on battery it stops with a BSOD "irq_not_less_or_equal" and reboots. When i connect power while the laptop is restarting it boots proberly.
The properly running laptop stops with the same BSOD when i disconnect the power supply while it is running.
The most interessting thing is that when i boot with power supply that is not connected to external power it boots properly. But connecting to external power afterwards results in the same BSOD and restart.
The Laptop is reinstalled with clean XP and nearly all Sony-Products are installed by downloaded Sony-Packages.

What could that be?

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi BernhardBergmann and welcome.

Have you reinstalled the Sony battery Utility?

Check if you have the following file:

C:\Program Files\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe

:thinking:

Is installed. When I first installed it said that i do not use an original battery but after i installed some more sony-software this message disappeared.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Try double-clicking to run ISBMgr.exe and then try to remove the mains power. It may just be that it is not configured to run automatically at startup.

ISBMgr.exe is running. But even with this tool the BSOD appears on disconnecting the power supply. I also do not think this could be the reason because of the BSOD at booting without power supply.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Bit of a mystery! But sounds like a driver conflict.

Does your battery appear in Device Manager? It may be shown as an ACPI-Compliant device.

If so, does it show any errors? May be worth uninstalling it and re-booting to re-set the MS drivers.

Also while in Device Manager, click on View and choose Resources by Connection -> IRQ. Have a look and see if you have an ACPI device and look to see if it shares an IRQ with something else.

valurus
Visitor

hallo everybody, I am new user of this forum and I like to propose a problem that seem related.
I purchased a Vaio notebook VGN FE-31H at the beginning of December 2006.

During December I have only complete windows installation and antivirus downloads, and did not notice anything strange that would worth any support. Then I get my vacation so I never really use the laptop until the beginning of January 2007.

In these two weeks of January I notice the follow anomaly:

When the computer is off for more than 7-8 hours and I try to power it on by the battery pack nothing happen and the computer remain off.
Of course, before turning on the pc, I made myself sure that the battery pack was fully (or 70-80%) charged.
Then if I connect it to the AC power and press the power button, it turns on normally.
At this point I check the battery state, and I notice that the battery is effectively
charged at the point which I expected it would be.

So I shut down the pc, disconnect the AC power feeder, and again try to turn on the pc only by mean the battery pack. This time the pc turn on without hesitations and so it do any other time I turn it on if no more than few hours are passed.

But again, if I shut down the pc (with the battery charged), wait for, let say,12 hours and try to turn it on by the battery pack, when I press the power button, again, nothing happen until I connect the AC power. And again, after that, the pc is able to turn itself on even with the battery pack unless no more than few hours are passed from the previous
shut down.

This is a repetitive anomaly.
So it would be impossible for me to turn on my laptop when I am travelling and that make a notebook quite unusable unless I “wake it up” by the AC supply.

The same happen after hibernating it instead of turning it off.

What are the differences between hibernate-mode and turn-off-mode ?

Thanks for your attention and dedication.

Valerio Lovisotto

Hi Blencogo,

in device manager the battery is installed correctly and does not show any errors. I uninstalled it but nothing changed.

What aboput the driver conflict, is there any driver loading, when disconnecting the power supply?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I have a strange problem with my new VAIO. Everytime i start XP on battery it stops with a BSOD "irq_not_less_or_equal" and reboots. When i connect power while the laptop is restarting it boots proberly. 
The properly running laptop stops with the same BSOD when i disconnect the power supply while it is running.
The most interessting thing is that when i boot with power supply that is not connected to external power it boots properly. But connecting to external power afterwards results in the same BSOD and restart.
The Laptop is reinstalled with clean XP and nearly all Sony-Products are installed by downloaded Sony-Packages.

What could that be?

In energy management set your VAIO to desktop mode for battery and for main power.

Windows XP SP2 has problems with DualCore CPUs with active Cool'n Quiet. But that's a AMD CPU problem, so I'm not sure that's the problem here.

Anyway, don't burn your nerves. It's pointless. Take your VAIO back and take a refund.

I got it. Using my Vaio at my company i use an external monitor. Today i did not realize that my power cord was switched of. My Vaio startet correctly! After a few minutes i realized that it was running on battery. So i thought about what was different and the only thing was this external monitor. So i tried some restarts with and without power. I also connected and disconnected external power and different states. No Problems.
So i disconnected the external monitor and the problems came back.
ATI Powerplay was activated and when i deactivated Powerplay everything was fine without external monitor.