Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-FW21M Full HD?

Gapo
Visitor

Vaio VGN-FW21M Full HD?

Hello! I’ve recently bought a Vaio VGN-FW21M. When I saw the computer in the store, I saw a sticker printed on it saying “full hd 1080p”. There also was a VGN-FW21Z with the same sticker there, so I bought de FW21M because it was cheaper.

But now I’ve discovered that the FW21M only plays full hd when connected to a Full HD television using the HDMI port. The FW21Z really is full hd, because it reads 1080p material without being connected through HDMI. If I knew this, I would buy the FW21Z instead.

My question is the following: is it possible to change in anyway the FW21M in order to make the computer really a full hd machine like the FW21Z? For instance, changing the graphics (what I thing it’s impossible, by the way…) or changing the laptop’s monitor?

Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Gapo and welcome.

Unfortunately it is not possible to upgrade the FW21M display to that on the FW21Z. Replacing the screen and the video chip would be very expensive and almost certainly invalidate the warranty.

Personally, I can't tell the difference between 1600 X 900 and 1920 X 1080 when playing Blu Ray or DVD on a 16.4 inch screen and for windows the desktop icon size is far easier to read at 1600 X 900 but I do agree that the sticker can be misleading.

You can only really tell the difference on a 40 inch screen and your FW21M can do that well.

:slight_frown:

Gapo
Visitor

Thank you for your answer!