Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-A317M Shift Key Problem

OldGustav
Visitor

VGN-A317M Shift Key Problem

I have a problem with the left-hand-side shift key on this notebook. When I press the key it does not always 'shift' to provide the capital letter. It's working fine right now, but I know it will happen again later this morning. All the other keys are working fine - so perhaps it's down to over use on that key? Any ideas or solutions gratefully received.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hylô Old Gustav - Croeso !

It is probably something mechanical. Try cleaning under the key with a compressed air can.

It may be worth removing the key to see if the pad underneath works OK when pressed - the key may just not have enough travel and adding a bit of padding (like a piece of sticky Post-It sticker) may cure the problem. Oh - and if you break the key getting it off, contact Vaio-Link who will send you up to 5 spare keys free of charge.

It is unlikely to be a connection problem or more than one key would not work.

Pob lwc - Nadolig Llawen !

:wink:

EDIT: Cei iawn 'n atyniadol dafad i mewn 'ch arwynebedd !!!

:smileybatting_eyelashes:

OldGustav
Visitor

Prynawn da Blencogo, Sut mae? (that's about the extent of my Welsh!).

Thanks very much for the advice, I will give it a go. Does the key just pop off if I apply pressure to the underside?

Diolch - and thanks for the compliment. They are Badger face sheep or to give them their Welsh name, Torddau (black belly). We have a few here on the farm along with many other two and four legged creatures.

All the best.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

By the way ...................

Herdie and Gurdie say "Merry Christmas" to their Welsh cousins.

:slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Welcome to Club VAIO Old Gustav!

OldGustav
Visitor

me of the torddau sheep again. I tried the compressed air and bits of post it note but the problem remains. I posted another message and have contacted sony e-support (but no response yet0.

So just thought I'd say hi again and see whether you had any other suggestions.

btw the shift operations in this message have been intermittent - eg. beginning of sentences, TLA's and brackets - so you can see how annoying this problem is. My dear wife says 'use the right hand shift key' (which works fine0. But I'm no typist and very rarely use it.

Agghhhhh!!!!!

PS. any early lambs yet/

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That right shift key is hardly ever used anyway.

You could try a non-alcoholic keyboard cleaner - a visit to Maplins (off or oline) might be a good idea.

OldGustav
Visitor

thank you - I will give it a try.