Join now - be part of our community!

VGX XL 302 No Sound from HDMI

GadgetFreak
Visitor

VGX XL 302 No Sound from HDMI

Just set-up my new XL 302, got most things working after a fair bit of messing about, but cannot solve this last one.

No Audio of any type from the HDMI port to my Samsung LCD TV, Audio drivers say they are installed and working ok, I can get sound via the headphones socket from the PC, so the drivers look as though they are working. That leaves me with the question does the sound actually get output from the PC through the HDMI socket or do you actually have to use a SP/DIF optical out to get sound. If so I will be really hacked off.

Anyone come across the probelm or similar, checked Audio from all the HDMI's and the HDMI ports work ok, so thats out too!!!!

Any pointers much appreciated.

Cheers

Gadget Freak!

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Gadget Freak and welcome to Club Vaio.

You need to change the sound playback to digital to send sound down the HDMI connection.

Start -> Control Panel -> Sound

On the Playback Tab change the default from Speakers/Headphones to Digital Output Device (S/PDIF and HDMI).

Sometimes it is also necessary to disable Dolby Digital in the Properties -> Supported Formats window.

:wink:

GadgetFreak
Visitor

Thanks for the reply,

Tried changing the settings as mentioned, but still no sound, test looks like its working but just no sound!!!! I will take another look at the TV's settings, but my PS3 and Sky HD all work fine with the HDMI settings so I don't hold out much hope there.

I will try the optical out but will need to set up my receiver to take it. or possibly some phono connectors just to prove I can get some audio out from the PC.

If you can think of anything else I am happy to try.!!!

Cheers,
Gadget Freak.

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Blencogo has covered most of it off. I used the "Sound Reality" control panel applet, then advanced tab to change the output from AC3 to PCM which then allows for sound through HDMI, similar to what was mentioned about Dolby Digital=off.

What I'm looking for is a convenient script to switch HDMI>Component and PCM>AC3 without having to click into properties each time.

Cheers

m1rfy
Visitor

Hello I am also having the same problem. I got my xl301 with vista the other day and have it connected to a samsung lcd tv via hdmi. I get a picture but no sound through the hdmi. If anyone can help it would be great as my cables are in the wall and I have no way of adding more. Thanks.

davicol
Visitor

same problem for me... I've a vaio XL302 with a Samsung Full HD 40" connected with HDMI cable.
The sound reality on control panel return rundll32 error or with other drivers I don't have the advanced tab for enabling HDMI output.
I've vista and I've reinstalled the system with vaio recovery tool and now I can't see the sound reality tool on my control panel.
Before reinstall, this I've tryied different drivers, without success.

davide

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Hello, the Sound Reality applet in Control Panel can be run manually by launching the STAC97.CPL file from your windows\system32 folder. Well, that's how it is on XP anyway 😉

m1rfy
Visitor

I think it is a compatability problem between the vaio & samsung tv's. I returned my xl301 to pc world with the no sound from the hdmi problem and they fully tested the machine. They Connected it to a sony tv and it worked fine. Picture & sound. I took ot home and I hooked it back up to my tv and still the same problem. No sound via hdmi. Also when I set the res to 1920 x 1080 the desktop out scales the screen, even though my tv is 1080p. My tv is the samsung m86.

Can anyone help me?

davicol
Visitor

I've the same TV !! M86
Sony give you a solution about this issue on compatibility between sony and samsung ?

I'm waiting for support call me for tryng to ghange the sound card but may be it's function well as you reported with other TV

thanks
Davide

MattWilson
Visitor

All the HDMI connections are build to the same standards although both Sony and Samsung acknowledge that there is a compatibility issue. If you all just let sony know what equipment you are using and what you do get and don't get ie. picture but no sound then they will be able to justify a full scale test with samsung to try and find the fault.