Join now - be part of our community!

VGX XL 302 No Sound from HDMI

GadgetFreak
Visitor

VGX XL 302 No Sound from HDMI

Just set-up my new XL 302, got most things working after a fair bit of messing about, but cannot solve this last one.

No Audio of any type from the HDMI port to my Samsung LCD TV, Audio drivers say they are installed and working ok, I can get sound via the headphones socket from the PC, so the drivers look as though they are working. That leaves me with the question does the sound actually get output from the PC through the HDMI socket or do you actually have to use a SP/DIF optical out to get sound. If so I will be really hacked off.

Anyone come across the probelm or similar, checked Audio from all the HDMI's and the HDMI ports work ok, so thats out too!!!!

Any pointers much appreciated.

Cheers

Gadget Freak!

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I have referred this thread to Sony Support Centre in Brussels for their attention and (hopefully) a comment.

:thinking:

m1rfy
Visitor

I have managed to get my 1080p picture sorted. I feel stupid, lol. All I did was press the picure mode button and changed it from 16:9 to just scan. That sorted it. Just think I spent an hour on the phone with support and they didn't sort it out. Just need my sound sorted out now.

m1rfy

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I was told by someone that HDMI doesn't carry sound.

Bluetimber
Visitor

Hi All,
I have a VGX-XL301 it is about 2 weeks old when I connect to my Toshiba 32C3030 32" LCD via HDMI I have good video but NO audio, when I connect my PS3 or my Sky HD to the same TV via HDMI I have good video & audio.
I do have audio out from my XL301 via Phono,Headphones and optical all work well.
When I connect my XL301 to my PDP506 50" Pioneer Plasma via HDMI I get good Audio and Video.

I have NOT logged a call with Sony Tech.

I hope this may be a help in getting to the bottom of this Problem!

Regards to all.

Steve.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I have not fully read this thread so if it has already been suggested then please ignore me, but has anyone tried setting the Digital output to HDMI only?

Control Panel > Sound > Digital Output Device > Configure > Output Channel tab > Under Digital Output Selection drop down menu select “Only for HDMI”.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Bluetimber
Visitor

Hi Rich912,

I have just checked as you suggested, the configure tab is greyed out on my digital settings so I am unable to adjust.
Maybe this is where the problem lies?

Regards

Steve.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Bluetimber,

I have just checked as you suggested, the configure tab is greyed out on my digital settings so I am unable to adjust.

Well it was only a guess really as this option is available on my machine but I don’t have the necessary equipment to test the theory, but it is strange that the Configure tab is greyed on your system.

Can anyone else experiencing the same problem confirm whether they have this option?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

No Rich - Configure is also greyed out on my AR31S for the Digital Output but I can get to this “Only for HDMI” setting this way: -

Control Panel > Sound > Digital Output Device > Properties > Output Channel tab > Under Digital Output Selection drop down menu select “Only for HDMI”.

BlueTimber, if you go to: -

Control Panel > Sound > Digital Output Device > Properties > Supported Formats

are ALL the boxes checked? There is a bug in Vista that checks all these boxes even if you have manually deselected some settings. I wonder if an encoded format or sample rate is selected that cannot be decoded by your display? Have you tried deselecting Dolby Digital?

There is a Microsoft Hotfix KB933750 to stop this bug.

:thinking:

Bluetimber
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

I CAN change the settings for HDMI only or HDMI/OPTICAL but still no sound via HDMI,
as for supported formats yes I can select or deselect I have tried all variations but still no joy.

Steve.

davicol
Visitor

Hi guys
This morming I went to sony assistance center, they have connected my Vaio (with my own cable HDMI) to 2 different TV and... ALL function well, sound is good, also I've tried bluray disk with success !

Another test I did is change TV setting from mediacenter options, In my TV some resolution show the media center interface not well dimensioned (buttons are outside the display). And with other TV all resolution selected are displayed correctly.

So, the problem is with Vaio and Samsung LE40M86DB ...

The Sony tech assistance in italy will contact Sony europe for problem escalation.

Thanks
Davide