Join now - be part of our community!

video/tv problems

brendino
Visitor

video/tv problems

hi clever people out there!

I've had my computer for about 18 months now but recently ive noticed the computer is struggling with video particularly when i want to watch tv. (the tv card being in its docking station)
The audio seems to work fine but the video lags far behind and sometimes stops altogether.

i thought perhaps it may be a codec problem. I check the codecs' with a program called Sherlock Codec Detective and it does say that the Sony DV software Codec (sonydv.dll) is missing or damaged. Could this be the problem?

My machine is a Vaio VGN-A417S
intel pentium M processor 1.99 GHz
1.00 GB of Ram

regard

bren

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bren and welcome to Club Vaio.

You should find a 'spare' in
C:\Program Files\Sony\DVGate Plus\SonyDVShared Library
You could try copying this to
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VideoLib
and overwriting the existing file.

:wink:

EDIT: Make a backup of the one you are going to replace - rename it sonydll.bak - just in case you are replacing it the wrong way round and the one in DVGate Plus is corrupt !!!

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I am always a tad suspicious of codec analysing programs. If Blencogo’s suggestion does not have the desired effect then defragmentation of the hard drive may help…

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
brendino
Visitor

thanks very much people. The video seems to be much smoother now. im amazed how such a small file/ seemingly unimportant file can make such a huge difference to the performance of my computer.

cheers

LEVELman
Visitor

Guys the same problem as brendino has mentioned... when I click on a details it shows "The driver for this codec was not found. This probably means the coded was not uninstalled properly." I wouldnt mind about this but I wonder if that can solve choppy DVD playback which I am not the onlyone experiencing here. I have been searching on forums and I have only seen issue with turning off fdd filter, but that didnt help me...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi LEVELman,

As you have worked out this must be a codec problem.

Have you tried contacting the official Sony support at Vaio-Link.

As I am sure you know, we are all just enthusiastic Vaio users here on this forum - we are not employees of Sony - so unless we have some members who have managed to find the answer and posted it here, we cannot solve your problem.

:thinking:

LEVELman
Visitor

No Blencogo I think I rly used wrong words for what I wanted to tell because I know your expert status is given by forum. I ment original Sony employees who are responsible for this. so I am sorry.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

No problem LEVELman. No offence taken.

I just wanted to be sure you didn't think we were paid employees who are expected to know everything (fat chance LOL).

:smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

LEVELman
Visitor

Blencogo just that you know what am I talking about (and that I am not drunk :slight_smile: ) see this: http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7039/driverproblem9qe.jpg

...reported to Vaio-link, I will post some usable answer when provided by ppl who are payed for providing answers :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

LEVELman,

Have you tried copying the updated sonydv.dll from DVGate Plus to windows\system32 as above?

:thinking: