Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Almost Caught Fire Whilst Charging!

profile.country.GB.title
ktinge
New

WH-1000XM3 Almost Caught Fire Whilst Charging!

This is the second pair of the Sony WH-1000MX3 headphones I’ve had. The first pair failed to charge after just 3 months so they were sent off to Sony under warranty and a new replacement pair was sent out, which I received at the end of 2019.

Its now around the 3 month mark again and this happens:

I had placed the headphone on charge, using Sony‘s charge cable and following their instructions, as always. 20 minutes later I smell burning plastic. I touch the headphones and the right ear cup, which contains the battery is incredibly hot and burns to the touch. The cable also hot to the touch. I pull the cable out immediately and can see melted plastic and glue around the bases of the metal piece of the charge cable, the charge port of the headset had also begun to melt and smoulder.

My mind is playing over what would’ve happened had I not been home when this happened. I have no doubt this would’ve caused a fire in my home.

The headphones were perfect for noise cancelling, very comfortable. But I cannot, and will not recommend them after this. The batteries have a fault where they don’t charge after a certain period of time passes, other comments in the forums testify this isn’t an isolated issue by far. 
But this is a huge flaw and risks the safety of not only your family but your home. 

I’m still waiting on a response from Sony but I will not be accepting a replacement headset as a result of this incident. These headphones are not safe and if you have a pair of your own, please do not let them charge without you being nearby. 

CC6D605A-0F72-4693-B5D1-BA0D75A37BD9.jpeg

368492F3-F762-4969-97C8-079D70FF468D.jpeg

FEAD2897-C0C0-4D92-B112-8319BF336206.jpeg

C8EF7DB2-9607-4079-BBE6-75866193FCEB.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @ktinge :slight_smile:

Crikey! Its a good job you were there. 😮

As you're already waiting to hear from Sony I won't escalate this yet,

please keep us posted as to what they say.

I have had a pair of these for nearly 10 months and have had no problems with

charging or smouldering (neither have friends that have them too) so I'm hoping that this was just

a rare one off case.

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

it will be interresting for Sony to know how you did charge your headphone too ^^

outlet? computer? etc...

profile.country.GB.title
ktinge
New

Hi there,

yes I added to the original post I charged as per Sony’s instructions using a USB plug. The one I was using was an official Apple USB plug, I had to show it to Sony to prove it was an official one, which is fair. I know some people use knock offs and can be extremely dangerous.

Sony have since replaced the headphones, after trying to blame me for using them in a wet scenario like out in the rain (I’m bed bound with a spinal condition and only use them to help go to sleep so they didn’t get very far with that excuse!).

HOWEVER, the new pair of headphones have static in the left ear cup when in noise cancelling mode only. So currently dealing with a new problem.

I've expressed my frustration at this being the third pair of headphones with an issue and how can they justify trying to blame customers when there are hundreds of reviews on YouTube and forums like this one expressing the same problems.

Have you had any issues with yours so far? Fingers crossed 4 is my lucky number!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @ktinge  :slight_smile:

Still no problems here so far thankfully.

Hang in there :slight_smile:

I will escalate this for you now just to see if any extra help can be given.

Someone from Sony Support will be in touch in the next few days,

are your contact details correct in your profile?

profile.country.GB.title
ktinge
New

Thanks so much for doing that, truly appreciate it.

Yes all details are correct in the profile. I think someone from Sony is emailing back tomorrow to see if it’s an issue I can solve at home, but got a feeling they’ll need to be sent in.

It’s so loud in our area in the early hours so I feel so long without them 😂 

Thank you for the kindness, really appreciate it!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @ktinge 

You're welcome :slight_smile:

It seems you've had a real run of bad luck with these 😮

ycheng211
New

This has just happened to my WH-1000XM4 model.  I purchased this 3/30/2022 and on 6/23/2022 at night around 10PM, the headphones told me to charge.  I would have not ever imagined that they could overheat or cause any problems so I plugged it in as normal and went about my business.  About 10-15 minutes later, I smelled the burning coming from somewhere.  At first, I thought it was the kitchen or some other appliance.  Then I noticed the headphones.  They were melting up and the smell of burning I guess plastic or whatever electronics materials was all over.  Quickly unplugged from the socket and then from the charging cable.  The right cup was hot to the touch and I was glad I wasn't wearing them.  I was also super glad that I hadn't ventured too far or left the house cause this definitely could've lit my bedroom/apartment or more to bits.   So far I am having a hard battle with the warranty department.  They first told me to wait a day and then they replied to me earlier today to say that an "engineer" had analyzed the pictures and deemed that the incident was man-made.  "Would you like a quote to purchase an old-to-new device?"  How crazily heartless and inconceivable.  I just bought them why would I go through this kinda trouble for what?  Even when I turned it off after the right cup was overheating the voice was still working.  It most definitely wasn't broken before.  I really can't believe they're accusing me of tampering.  In another case where my Mom's Dell laptop caught fire, they expressed deep concern and apologized profusely.  Replacing it and customizing a new computer for her within days.  What is wrong with Sony's outlook toward customers?  Is this where they're going to cut costs to make the bottom line?  I'm absolutely outraged especially after raving happily about how satisfied I was with the purchase, it is the complete opposite now.  Never again will I recommend or even consider Sony.  The client retention is gone.  I will shout it from the mountain tops.   Unbelievable. .. I have been accused and indicted for creating a possible house fire by a Sony engineer who has no evidence against me, nor evidence of even existing themselves.  Now they want me to buy another model?  Unsure what to do.IMG-2186.jpgIMG-2202.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

The issue here is that you showed in the picture that you charged your headphone with a non official Sony AC Adaptor plus using an extension socket... 2 things that are said not to do in the manual...