Join now - be part of our community!

XA1 Charging Problems

SOLVED
MB1007
Visitor

XA1 Charging Problems

I have had a XA1 for around 4 months now, the past week I have had problems charging it, everytime I plug the charger in it wont connect, to begin with I thought it was a problem with the cable, so I bought a new sony cable, but it's still doing it.  I can eventually get it to connect and charge, but it keeps cutting out.

Has anyone else had this problem, what can I do to fix it.

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24
Leeroy11
Visitor

Been having charging problems for 2 weeks now , its not the cable as i have replaced and tried with wifes phone which is exactly same model. it is the charging port of the phone. when i push in firm it will charge but let go and it stops.. 

Is this under manufacuring warranty

Trish_S
Visitor

I had same problem, went to very friendly Telenore shop in Aalborg. Charger was fine, but cable was not. Would you beleive that is the weakest link. :(((((((

Did not get charged for consultation. :))))))

@PELEPDELD wrote:

Oh wow, contact local support, thats good solution. How come that I haven't the same idea?

By the looks of it - you Sony guys planned that after approx. a year of use the charger (yes guys it's the charger, not the cable) will degrade. And there is not one screw on it to open it and fix the contacts or whatever, so I have now to dig up some indian pioneers with their HELLO IMA JAMAL GOODE DAI TO YU videos to look up how in the it opens.

Thank you very much, Sony, for great advice to contact my local support.

Get this story known, guys, people should know.

Trish_S
Visitor

Get new cable

@Dhrubad wrote:

I have the same problem with my XA1. Moving the connector helps after carefully ensuring the position, but any little movement turns the charging off.

Stefinka
Visitor

Me too! 

I have had the XA1 for 16 weeks now, I am getting the same problem! 

Been having charging problems for 2 weeks now.

Everytime I plug the charger in, it does not connect.

At the beginning I thought it was a problem with the (original) Sony cable, but it's not as I've already tried three different cables / plugs and I still get the issue.

I can eventually get it to connect and charge, but it keeps cutting out (after a few minutes it stops charging!)

Is this under manufacuring warranty.

Have you fixed the issue? How to deal with it? 

I live in Italy.

Thanks! 

Tags (1)
NicB
Visitor

I had to choose a new alias on here as it would not let me use my existing one for some reason but I posted before on this as NicB. Anyway, after attempting to get the matter resolved via tweeting, I was sent a direct message asking me to email the local support. I did this and was sent a number of emails, the last one asking me to carry out a whole number of tasks to ensure the cable was indeed faulty. As explained to them multiple times the CABLE WAS CHECKED AND VERIFIED BY CARPHONE WAREHOUSE AS FAULTY! Jeeez. Anyway, the last email communication I received in response to that was to post the cable back to an address in Kent (SBE). Some time later I receive a repair estimate in the post for £27. Are they taking the proverbial? I was not amused as you can imagine. Very poor indeed that they can't replace a small piece of cabling as goodwill and as we can see this is clearly not a one off. There is a quality issue here and Sony need to do the right thing by its customers and replace free of charge the faulty cables. This is unacceptable. If I had bought a bottom of the range budget phone then I might have lower expectations. Bearing in mind the Sony representative stated they would "assist me in the best possible way" . Sending me a repair estimate for an inferior cable is not assisting me in the best possible way. Rant over. Meanwhile I hope others have a better outcome. 

katharma
Visitor

I went to a local shop and changer the phone's connector for 20 euro 6 months ago. 

Works great since then

NicB
Visitor

Of course we could all go out and buy new chargers in the shop but why should we? The product is not being sold fit for purpose. What good is a phone without a functional charger? For a global brand like Sony I expect them to acknowledge and resolve particularly as it has reported strong Q1 2018 profits. 

NicB
Visitor

This problem is not "solved" and the green tick should be removed. 

Dave811
Visitor

Do not contact the support team. It is a huge waste of time and money. They will do everything they can to void the warranty. Any scratch or slight scuff they will charge you full amount. If you want the item back it is 24ish pounds to send it back. A complete con.

angelmiller
Visitor

Your battery sounds like a 3-multi year old one that is in urgent need of a recondition. Since your telephone is unmistakably not excessively old, you may have been incidentally completely releasing the battery, over charging it, or charging it without enabling it to release.

One thing to attempt is the battery wellbeing pointer in the administration menu. This will let you know whether the telephone thinks the battery is awful.