Join now - be part of our community!

Dark theme on Android 10 and OLED screens

SOLVED
profile.country.ES.title
IvanLM
Explorer

Dark theme on Android 10 and OLED screens

Hello.

It is my first mobile with an Oled screen (Sony Xperia 5 II), and from what I know about this type of screen is that they turn off the pixels when the color is black. I know that it is not something from Sony but something typical of Android 10, that when using the dark theme, certain parts of the system with for example in system settings and other parts of the system, are seen with a grayish background and, I wonder what if it would not be better for those parts to have a completely black background, I think it would improve battery saving a little and help better conservation of the screen. I do not know if it would be possible for Sony to modify the default dark theme of Android 10 or create an alternative 100% black specific for this type of screen.

What do you think??.

A greeting.

(Translated with Google)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

@IvanLM just throwing it out there, "true black" doesn't make that much difference in power consumption in OLED screens compared to dark grey. XDA has tested it a while ago, and the difference was negligible: https://www.xda-developers.com/amoled-black-vs-gray-dark-mode/

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

"certain parts of the system with for example in system settings and other parts of the system, are seen with a grayish background "

Can you publish a screenshot?

Here's mine on Xperia 1, Android 10

Screenshot_20210105-153209.png

profile.country.ES.title
IvanLM
Explorer

Hello

I know it is not a problem as I mentioned earlier. I just think it would be useful and beneficial for Sony to make a dark mode that is really 100% black to take advantage of the oled screens and not the default Android 10.

Perhaps I should direct my suggestion to a specific department?  Would you know which one?

In my Xperia 5 II it looks similar to yours (on the mobile it shows something clearer than on the pc).
Screenshot_20210104-234947.png

profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

@IvanLM just throwing it out there, "true black" doesn't make that much difference in power consumption in OLED screens compared to dark grey. XDA has tested it a while ago, and the difference was negligible: https://www.xda-developers.com/amoled-black-vs-gray-dark-mode/

profile.country.ES.title
IvanLM
Explorer

Thank you very much for the article, very interesting and instructive. So from what I understand, the fact that it had a black background would already be a question of aesthetics / personal taste that you practice.

A greeting.