Join now - be part of our community!

Loves and hates but Camera issues!!

Buzzchris
Visitor

Loves and hates but Camera issues!!

So I've had my Xperia since 4th Oct and I'm on the verge of sending it back 😞😞

I love the size....shape.....form factor.....screen.....stereo speakers.....battery life (the phone needs time to learn your habits)

I'm not loving the poor signal I get from the handset....if I'm driving or on a train I'm hard to get good signal to stay connected. It like everyone around me is fine but I'm the odd one out in a group of people.....I can't google something or find directions when I need to.

SONY!!!! You need to blow the other phone makers out the water with your camera tech within Sony......you could do far better....let us have multiple options/settings

the camera lags......slow to save images.......freezes and hangs and now I'm getting black banding on my photos. I've not had it a month yet!!B1E967BC-B6A9-499D-B12B-D441930DA160.jpeg7335D59F-CCD4-4905-ACDF-9378EBF8A720.jpeg

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Axefjord,

@Axefjord  wrote:

The problem occurs on both 30 and 60 fps videos (I have not tried 120fps).

of course it does and it will only get worse with 120fps.

@Axefjord  wrote:

The framerate used was 30 fps on the example clip.

And it should get worse (depending on the lighting conditions and the automatic shutter speed the phone selects) if you use a higher framerate.

@Axefjord  wrote:

I simultaneously took a video using the pro app, using the 25fps setting. 

As far as I am concerned there is no 25fps setting in the app - only 30 fps (29.97fps) or 24 fps (23.98fps). There you though can adjust the shutter speed to 1/50th (1/49.95 of a second OR 172.8 degrees).

Then of course the effect doesn't show.

- Nic

profile.country.NO.title
Axefjord
Explorer

Hi @IamNic ,

I guess we are in agreement then.

For people who want to take videos (using the standard camera app) indoors in Europe and other 50hz countries, this phone is useless.

It can be somewhat remedied by using 3rd party apps, but then one looses the eye-autofocus and other sony-features. Or using the pro app, but loosing the easy camera controls and being forced to 21:9 (?) video format πŸ˜•

(I checked and the setting is at 25fps with me..)

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Axefjord,

@Axefjord  wrote:

For people who want to take videos (using the standard camera app) indoors in Europe and other 50hz countries, this phone is useless.

No, EVERY phone has this issue. I don't know of any phone that is not limited to NTSC framerates by default.

@Axefjord  schrieb:

(I checked and the setting is at 25fps with me..)

Then at least that has improved from the Xperia 5 to the 5II - I still use the 5.

That though makes me wonder, why it displays as 23.97 for you.

- Nic

profile.country.NO.title
Axefjord
Explorer

Hi @IamNic 

Other (high-end?) phones DOES NOT have this problem.

I have verified that this is not a problem with:

sony xz1

huawei p30 pro

samsung s8 pro

samsung z flip

iphone (recent model) (Edit: scratch this, the video had external light, so conditions were not similar)

in the same living room with the same light, under similar conditions.

I have no idea of what settings was used on the previous devices, but they worked "out of the box" with no problem at all. Possible solutions that other manufacturers might use are to switch to framerates that are a multiple of 25 in relevant countries or based on input, or maybe use other "anti-banding" techniques?