Join now - be part of our community!

External 100Gb hardrive with Sony Bravia XD80

Seane3
New

External 100Gb hardrive with Sony Bravia XD80

My new TV does not recognise my hardrive, Have tried all of the usb ports and tried re formatting my hardrive. Any sugestions?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Does the drive look OK in Windows Disk Management console (normal drive letter and name allocated) and that it is not configured as a dynamic disk which you can check by right clicking the disk label ?

Beyond that and I've no idea what else to check I'm afraid. I do know that the Android TV's convert the disk to GPT partition format, something to be aware of if you reuse the disk on a PC. Convert back to conventional MBR

by right clicking the label as above. 

D1.PNGD2.PNG

Seane3
New

Thank you for the reply, I am actually using a mac to format the hardrive, I have formtted to MS - DOS (FAT) if that helps?

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I'm not sure on that tbh. Doesn't FAT limit the max file size allowable. The drives I used were for USB recording and I found exFAT was fine.  An older Sony document on USB recording says no to NTFS although I recollect trying that once and that to was OK.

The TV seems to format the drive to suit anyway, because I found the drive once used then becomes non recognisable by Windows until you go and deliberately delete the volume and then recreate a new 'simple volume' to bring it back to how it was before.

I know in Windows that if you don't allocate a partition a letter then it doesn't show in file explorer. Whether anything like that applies to plug in drives I'm not sure.