Join now - be part of our community!

Google Play/Sony Select 4K movie offer

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
webby73
Explorer

Google Play/Sony Select 4K movie offer

Has anyone managed to redeem this offer? Shows up on the Sony Select app, which tells you to open up the Google Play TV & Movies app to redeem it, but the offer isn't there. Are we waiting for an update for the TV for this to work? I have a 49XE8004.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi webby73, 

Thanks for your message. We are looking into this and someone will get back to you shortly.

Thanks, 

Pascale_F

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi webby73, 

Thanks for your message. We are looking into this and someone will get back to you shortly.

Thanks, 

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
webby73
Explorer

Hi Pascale_F,

Appreciate it, thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
webby73
Explorer

It showed up this morning, and I have redeemed it.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

I redeemed the offer, but all the movies want to charge me?

profile.country.GB.title
SVVG118
New

I have just bought a Sony Bravia KD-55XE8596 and it was advertised as providig a free 4k film. I too can't see the "redeem" option in the tv and video app. This is hugely frustrating, and none of the sony apps seem very good, please can Sony advise how I can redeem the film which was part of their advertising for this set?

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hello 'Pascale F',

I have the same/had the same problem.

How long do you envisage 'shortly' to take?

I realise you (probably?) do (not?) work for Sony, so thank you for any help you can offer.

When I got MY tv - a KD-43XE8396 (last September 11th) - I saw the same/similar offer of a 'free' 4k Movie, which I believe was from 'Google Play Movies.

Unfortunately, since September my TV has had multiple issues necessitating THREE 'hard resets', back to 'factory defaults' - I was following supposedly 'helpful suggestions' of Sony Customer Services.

Despite these 'hard re-sets', many issues remained, now mostly 'fixed' (I use the term advisedly as the 'fixes' are more like a 'wait & see', rather than a definite improvement).

Also unfortunately:

This 'free' movie was deleted BEFORE I watched it,

Amazon Video app (default installed pre-purchase)  was NOT 're-set' to factory default after the 'last' reset, & it still has the same issues despite Android being updated,

AND the 'last' reset also deleted an reasonably good 'airplay app' that was 'free' (AirReceiver Lite v4.0.0) before the reset and no longer available (except as a pay version) after the reset,

AND......

So, despite 'Sony Egypt Customer Services Call Centre' promising me I WOULD get this movie back - after updating Android Nougat 7.0 from 'PKG6.2602' to 'PKG6.2671'........I have NOT got it back.

Will I get it back? 

If so, how & when?

If not, why not?

Update '2671' also caused other problems, now hopefully solved, because of the annoying Samba Interactive TV app that INSISTS on being enabled, before & during an update, even when it is not supposed to be doing anything, because I selected 'disagree & disable' during set up of my new tv.

If it is NOT enabled when tv is updating,  the tv gets stuck in a loop, you have to struggle VERY hard with to get out of.

Another reason for NOT updating 'automatically'.

I also have no clue how to get 'WiFi Direct' to do ANYTHING other than 'connect' my my iPhone to the TV's own 'WiFi network' (NOT to be confused with my ROUTER WiFi network), but then what?

I do NOT see my iPhone screen in my TV screen.

What iOS app (if any) should the iPhone (6Plus, iOS 10.2) be using to 'screen mirror' to the TV?

Or, is the TV supposed to have an app instead of, or as well as the iPhone?

'Airscreen' a 'free' app (on the TV) can 'mirror' my iPhone 5, 6Plus & iPad Mini 4 screen & audio:

but that is so jerky & clunky I only use it for Apple Music (iPhone 5),

or iOS songs/Android Music (iPhone 6Plus/iPad Mini 4).

This app does NOT display properly in landscape on the TV, so is only used for 'audio airplay streaming', but at least it kind of 'works', and the sound quality is just about passable.

What do I do now, or what will likely go wrong next, I wonder????

Thanks for any helpful or relevant info

Blessings & Peace to all

First_Knight

profile.country.GB.title
Andyjard
Explorer

Same issue here, the offer says how "easy" it is to redeem the free 4k movie. i made a google account and signed in on the google play app and i don't see any where that allows you to redeem it? how can they advertise this as a promotion and have it in the home section with no apparant getting it to play 

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi,

The 'free 4k movie offer' has finally re-appeared back in 'Google Play Movies & TV' but I can't find out to get this 'free' item either.

I am imagining that Google thinks it is acceptable to DEMAND a customer hands over 'a payment method' just to get this 'free' item.

As far as I am concerned that means it is NOT free at all - assuming you even get ANYTHING afterwards, AND also assuming Google do NOT 'accidentally' charge you for 'their services', at some point afterwards - even after you HAVE repeatedly told them you want to cancel their 'free' service (at the end of some 'trial period')!!!!!  

CMillett85
Explorer

READ THIS! THIS IS THE SOLUTION!

Please follow these steps:

1.) Add a payment method to you Google Account. In this case I used a prepaid debit card that I got as a gift for Christmas.

2.) After you add a payment method, continue with whatever movie you have selected. Choose the movie you wish to redeem as part of the Sony Bravia/Google partnership. In this case, I chose the movie "Chappie."

3.) After you select the movie that you're interested in (I came to my decision after reading the extensive Google Reviews on the selected movies, and chose Chappie as a result), DO NOT SELECT THE RENT BUTTON. I REPEAT: DO NOT SELECT THE RENT BUTTON. You must "BUY" the movie. SELECT THE "BUY" BUTTON AND NOT THE "RENT" BUTTON. Failure to do so will continue to make you wonder "WHERE'S MY FREE 4K MOVIE?!"

4.) After you have your "payment method" added to your account, you BUY the movie, and you're given the option of buying it in SD (Standard Definition), HD (High Definition), or UHD (Ultra-High Definition). If you want the best bang for your buck (not actually any buck because IT IS FREE) and have a 4k Sony TV (I have the X900E that I got from Best Buy), then you should select the UHD Movie to "BUY."

5.) REST ASSURED, YOU ARE NOT BUYING THIS MOVIE AFTERALL. You are actually given this movie for FREE. The cost for "buying" Chappie would've original been $18.00, but Google recognizes, they actually DO recognize (and I was skeptical at first, and that's why I used a prepaid debit card) that the 15 movies that they have curated for the 2017 Sony Android TV Owners as part of their deal with Sony are in fact FREE.

6.) If you have any question pertaining to my process, please don't hesitate to shoot me a message. I promise you this will work. You have till December 31st, 2017 to "buy" one of fifteen movies for free.