Join now - be part of our community!

Optical Sound Output - Is this a bug?

profile.country.GB.title
Simply4Me

Optical Sound Output - Is this a bug?

I've connected my Bravia 49X83's audio output to an external audio system using an optical cable.

The Speaker setting is set to Audio System.

Under Headphone/Audio Out there is a choice of Fixed or Variable.

I want to control the audio level with the TV's remote, so I select Variable.

But the optical audio output is constant - it doesn't change from the TV remote.

Surely this is wrong?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You cannot change the digital volume level via the TV remote on any TV. If you want to have a single remote you should have and HDMI-CEC/ARC enabled AV receiver... or an analogue one 

profile.country.GB.title
Simply4Me

Thanks for the quick response.

So, what is the function of the Variable setting?

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

You CAN change the digital volume level on my 55" LG TV I have in bedroom. You can use the TV remote, the magic remote or obviously the sound bar remote, they all work perfectly. 

profile.country.GB.title
Simply4Me

rooobb

If I set the Speakers to 'TV', the optical output is still present as well as the internal output.

With that setting, the optical output does change with the remote control. So why not with the TV speakers off?

profile.country.GB.title
Simply4Me

Does anyone else have experience/observations on the please?

I don't understand why the audio level on the optical output can be varied using the remote controller when the internal speakers are on, but not when they are turned off.

mellorgolf
Explorer

I can control external speakers connected with optical with TV speakers off using normal remote, but not with touchpad remote, annoying.

profile.country.GB.title
Simply4Me

Thank you mellorgolf. It seems there is no clear answer to this.

At the moment I'm having to use the earphone output to feed the amplifier, but I'm not sure this has the same frequency response as the optical audio. Also there seems to be a trace of background hiss on the audio that's not present on the optical output.

I'm hoping that this might be fixed in a future upgrade, but I'm not holding my breath!.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Simply4Me I don't use anymore optical cable so I cannot try by myself, but it seems very strange that you can have both the internal speacker and the audio output at the same time.

In any case also the official sony kb state that you cannot control the volume on the optical output https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37699/related/1

Fixed or Variable apply only to analogue (headphone jack) connection.

See also soem old discussion on internet on the same http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?30247

profile.country.GB.title
Simply4Me

Thanks for that link, which seems pretty clear in itself

But it seems to be not consistent though because on my 49X83:

1. Set to Audio System, the internal speakers are off and the optical output has a constant output

2. Set to TV Speakers, the TV speakers are on and the optical output is also on, and both levels vary with the remote control.

And it seems from the comments above that others have found different effects.

I have a programmable remote and can easily set it to vary the audio system's level. The reason I haven't done it this way is that we like to have a visible confirmation on the TV screen of the level that is set, before our ears are blown off by the audio system..  .