Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S570 only plays low resolution video from You-Tube

profile.country.GB.title
TedMee
Explorer

BDP-S570 only plays low resolution video from You-Tube

The question says it all.  If I go on line and find a You-tube video that plays at 1080p or 720p on my laptop (a wireless connection to a Netgear DGN1000 router) and then try to play it on the big screen using a wired connection, the vid plays what appears to be 480 or less.  You-tube on the laptop offers a choice of res. - if the file is able to.  BBC iPlayer on the same connection plays HD TV with no hesitation or apparent loss of quality.  According to BT the broadband line will run at > 5Mbs.

My question is - is this a normal operation, or do I have a problem with the BDp-s570 or is there a problem with You-tube for this type of connection?.  The firmware on BD is the latest version.  The TV is a Bravia HX703. Yes I know that I can connect the TV direct to the internet, but iPlayer on the TV does not have HD channels and the resolution on You-Tube is even worse. 

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
Convergence
Visitor

Hi the links you see on your TV are just links to services, only the provider can make changes to the service available, in this case it is down to YouTube to add HD functions, I believe they limit the quality

profile.country.GB.title
TedMee
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.  Does this mean that You-tube adjust the response according to the eqipment that is connected?

profile.country.GB.title
TedMee
Explorer

Thanks,  Reading You-tube help info, they say that the resolution that they give depends on the embeded player.  Standard screen sizes = 240 360 480, 720p and 1080p.  This indicates that Sony use an embeded player that won't go beyond 480.  Question is is this right?  And if so why limit the player size?