Join now - be part of our community!

internet browser & bravia rant

profile.country.en_GB.title
durian40
Visitor

internet browser & bravia rant

bought my first bravia smart tv.  also have a PS2 PS3 PSP

sony oh sony oh sony, why do none of these devices have decent web browsers?

and as for having to use the remote control to toggle around text input, well that is an absolute joke.  ARE you seriously telling me that a usb keyboard or mouse is an unrecognised device?

have you ever tried surfing the web on a remote control sony?  you must be out of your mind.

and as for not being able to use my sony PS3 camera and mic?... you really are taking the mickey sony.

Its a sony device with a cam and a mic, WHY CANT I PLUG THIS IN AND SKYPE?

sony you really need to learn some lessons with your hardware and stop ripping customers off by forcing them to buy your usb cam/mic (which i certainly wont)

and as for not being able to record tv to a usb device under 32Gb.... oh come you are stupid, why i cant i record a few tv clips to a 16Gb key?

lots to learn sony, i think this will be my last ever sony internet enabled device

on the plus side, it is a nice tv set with nice features....

Message was edited by: durian40

Message was edited by: durian40

Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Durian

Thanks for the post - you do make some valid points. Its worth noting that this is the first generation of TV's with Opera web browser so it has yet to reach maturity in terms of the experience, and this is likely the same for all manufacturers. Most of the consumer research shows that the majority of people don't want a USB keyboard or mouse attached to the TV.

There is a smartphone app which allows for much easier text input  - available for Android and IOS and you may have seen the keyboard which ships with the Google TV products in the US. The experince is still evolving.

Personally, its far easier to surf the web on a tablet or laptop whilst surfing as they have a lot more power, memory and driver support for things like flash. Plus its far simpler to input text on these devices. TV browers are in some ways mainly utilised by broadcasters to allow them to deliver services like BBC iPlayer etc..

Be pleased to hear any other comments rants/praise are all good feedback.. :wink:

Thanks

durian40
Visitor

its good to know there is an app.

sony support keyboard and mouse input on the PS3......

USB text input should be defacto, its a usb device requiring text input.

I must say the browser is a slight improvement over the PS3, which is truly dreadful.

These machines are sold with an 'internet available' angle.  Infancy or not, it needs to be esay to use.  You say most people dont want a usb keyboard on the tv, but do folk really want to have to type this for example

www.sony.co.uk/discussions/post!reply.jspa?message=679450

let alone logging in to facebook, status updates, twitter text entry.....

maybe the tv wont see so many 'browser users' but it will see the heavily flaunted 'widgets' of twitter and facebook up the side of the tv screen. personally i love it.

what i think is awful are the graphics of the two widgets, they look like they come from 800x600 vga 8 bit graphics card

and these widgets, need (in some cases) A HUGE AMOUNT OF TEXT ENTRY....

still a nice telly tho, just over £200. nice second telly next to the 32" PS3 screen

Batfinkk

Mate  - you have got to be crackers typing in full URLs on your remote control... just use your laptop surely?

I don't know why people want Facebook and Twitter on the TV anyway, much easier just to use them on your smartphone.

I read the rants from 2011.  I wondered if I was the only one challenged.  Nothng has changed in four years. In the country that learned from Juran and Deming, you'd think someone would sit with a clipboard and count the number of keystrokes required on a TV remote to enter a URL (through the T9 interface). It's an average of ten keystrokes per character.  I plugged my USB keyboard in. No dice.

The company that brought us the Trinitron and the Walkman ought to be ashamed of itself.  Akio Morita would make seppuku if he tried to use this product.

hcr_hassen

:thumbsup:

But with all due respect to the browser, which definitely could be implemented better, this is a TV. Expecting a consumer electronics device to do secondary or tertiary functions well is a sure way to get frustrated.

I'm more annoyed that primary functions are implemented horribly, like requiring 6 (or was it 7 or 😎 remote button presses to switch from classic 4:3 picture ratio to wide 16:9, or back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hcr_hassen 

Cant you just go to the "Screen" options in the TVs display settings and set:

• Target Inputs = Common
  • Screen Format = FULL
  • 4:3 Default = NORMAL or Wide Zoom

Or are you one that stretches the 4:3 screens so everyone is fat?

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@hcr_hassen

Or how about the button on the remote ?

Remote.jpg

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately Jonnie1266 - the 2014 Bravia's no longer included that button - hence to the annoyance of  HCR_Hassen (and others).

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Well that's technological advancement for you, I'll stick with my 2013 fossil then ! :laughing:

I'm sure that Sony have published questionnaires in the past regarding what should be included on the remote - I miss the 'jump' button, has that returned ?

If it ain't broke don't fix it