Join now - be part of our community!

No dial up connection with USB modem on F13 series VPCF13Z1E

profile.country.en_GB.title
speedoman
Explorer

No dial up connection with USB modem on F13 series VPCF13Z1E

Hi

I am having a problem getting connected to a dial up connection.

I do have broadband, but I have an email address from the dial up connection days before broadband and to keep the email address valid I need to do a dial up connection for a few seconds every few weeks.

I have an external USB modem and when connected to the laptop Windows 7 installs the software automatically. When I do a dial up it says error 680.

If I install the software from the CD that came with the modem and do a dial up it says error 678.

I have tried this modem on a vaio E series and also on a Samsung laptop and I got a dial up connection straight away!

Also I had to reinstall windows a while ago on my laptop and the first thing I did after the windows updates was to try the modem and exactly the same problem.

I have tried the dial up connection with my broadband connected and disconnected and with the wireless switch on and off and with the firewall on and off but no luck!

Would anyone please be kind enough to give me any suggestions!

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
speedoman
Explorer

any suggestions from anyone?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't have a magic cure but as nobody else has answered let's discuss a few possibilities.  I am sure you have checked most of these but two heads ............etc.

1.  Is your USB Modem compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?

2.  Have you tried the manufacturer's website for updated drivers?

3.  You are connecting to the 'Phone' socket - not the ADSL socket?  Have you tried the 'Master' phone socket with no filter attached?

4.  Does the phone socket have a dialling tone when you plug a handset into it?

5.  Check you don't have a fax or ansaphone connected to the phone line.  This connection does not exceed the maximum 4 connections on the system.

6.  Are you using the original cables?  Some older modems have their own wiring.

Apart from rechecking all the connections, that's about all I can think of - sorry if it does not help.  The only other thing I would mention is that new USB Dial Up Modems are very cheap these days!!!!

:thinking:

speedoman
Explorer

Thank you for getting back to me!!!

1             Yes modem is windows 7 64 bit

2             I have tried updated drivers

3             I have tried the master socket with no filter

4             Yes phone has dial tone

5             No fax or answerphone

6             Tried replacement modem cable

The strange thing is two of my friends brought their laptops to my house, a vaio E series and also a Samsung laptop and I got a dial up connection straight away first time without any problems!