Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-A617B Back light sensor

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
JohnyT
Visitor

Vaio VGN-A617B Back light sensor

Hello

I have a Vaio VGN-A617B  that has devlopped a problem with the backlight sensor. As you probably know like most laptops my Vaio has a magnet within the lid that stimulates a sensor and tells the sytem to turn the backlight off when the screen is closed

This sensor has now deveoped a fault where it will shut off the back light at any random moment. I have been using a fridge magnet to tease the sensor and bring back the light but as time has past it has gotten worse.

I have taken it apart and have found the sensor to be a small IC thats attached to the ribbon cable that feeds the power and hard drive lights. (just to the left of the green power light if looking from the front)

Is it possible to get this part from somewhere?  Or is there some way of forcing the backlight to stay on perminantly by soldering something? I dont mind having the backlight on all the time if it will save me from buying a new laptop. Money is a bit short at the moment

Thankyou for looking

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi John,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

You may be able to purchase the part from Vaio  support or possibly from one of Sony's authorised repair partners, to  find the contact number for Vaio support.

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 1: Enter your vaio models serial number, which you should find on the bottom of your Vaio.

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

Then Click on the Out of Warranty tab, then Phone support.

To locate the nearest Sony service partner click on Out of Warranty Service tab

Have you tried changing the setting to do nothing 'When I close the lid of my portable computer.:smileyconfused:

The setting hopefully can be found in Control Panel, Performance & Mantenance.

Follwed by Power Option and finally Advanced tab.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi John,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

You may be able to purchase the part from Vaio  support or possibly from one of Sony's authorised repair partners, to  find the contact number for Vaio support.

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 1: Enter your vaio models serial number, which you should find on the bottom of your Vaio.

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

Then Click on the Out of Warranty tab, then Phone support.

To locate the nearest Sony service partner click on Out of Warranty Service tab

Have you tried changing the setting to do nothing 'When I close the lid of my portable computer.:smileyconfused:

The setting hopefully can be found in Control Panel, Performance & Mantenance.

Follwed by Power Option and finally Advanced tab.

profile.country.en_GB.title
chillster77
Visitor

Hi John

Did you end up fixing the problem?

I have an SZ3XWP and I cannot get my backlight to work.

I have tried changing it with another display with no joy, the otherdisplay has proven to work in the other laptop I own.

When you said that the magnetic senson was on the part where the power button is, is that the long chip underneath near where the speakers are? I have a spare of these so I may be able to use that?

I hope this helps, if not I am similarly happy to try soldering the fuse associated with the backlight. If you have any idea where I may start looking?

Thanks

Will

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Will,

The sensor on most modern Vaios is usually at the front edge adjacent to the touchpad.

To locate it run a paperclip along the top off the screen surround until you find the magnet and then close the screen to give you the exact corresponding position of the sensor.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat