Join now - be part of our community!

VGX-TP3Z/B problems

stevecundall
Visitor

VGX-TP3Z/B problems

does anyone know what the latest version of Win DVD is?

I've been having major problems getting Blu Ray disks to play through my Bravia, and was looking to get an update, but no one at Sony can tell me what version I should be using.

The one currently installed on the unit is 8.0.9.387

12 REPLIES 12
adski_uk
Visitor

Hi Steve mate, my fellow VGX-TP3Z/B owner !!!

I'll have a look when I get home and let you know. BTW I tried to play Indy jones 4 blu-ray at the weekend and could only get 2 channel audio out, do you have probs like that ?

Ad

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi stevecundall,

there is a WinDVD BD Update 8.0 - 8.0.9.617 listed for your Vaio, use the following link to download the update: WinDVD BD 8.0.9.617

stevecundall
Visitor

Hi Ad........not had that problem so far.......but sounds like it won't be long!!!!!!!

my problems playing Blu Ray seem to be ones that a number of people have reported on this site. Thankfully (or not) it doesn't appear to be exclusive to the TP3, but to do with Blu Ray discs on Sony Computers.....might be wrong, but that's the way it seems reading some of the threads.

That being the case, it could simply be a firmware issue, and can therefore be solved with a download.

My picture pauses for a fraction of a second every few minutes, and after a while results in the picture and sound being out of sync. More worryingly (and frustratingly) I still get the same 'your system does not support protected playback blah blah blah.....even on discs that played fine a day or so before.......

while I'm ranting......have you had any problems with the tv guide in the media centre? More specifically, with the guide not updating automatically? everything has been fine until last weekend, when all the programmes that were due to record on series links, didn't!!! When I checked, they were all taking times from an old tv guide

adski_uk
Visitor

HI mate,

I've had series links disappear before and at the weekend weirdly BBC1 seemed to be a couple of hours out of sync. It started recording Casualty at about 6pm (Strictly dancing was on) instead of 8pm.

Only watched about 15 minutes of BluRay, no video problems, but noticed that the sound was only 2 channel so stopped and diverted to playing in PS3 instead.

stevecundall
Visitor

ha! same here - Casualty, Merlin and Match of the Day!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi stevecundall,

there is a WinDVD BD Update 8.0 - 8.0.9.617 listed for your Vaio, use the following link to download the update: WinDVD BD 8.0.9.617

Hi Steve,

did the Win DVD update help at all.. :thinking:

stevecundall
Visitor

Hi

I did download the new version but didn't solve the problem.

I've posted a few threads recently relating to problems I've had in playing Blu Ray discs on my VGX-TP3Z/B, and have been down numerous avenues.

The main issue was intermittantly not being able to play some Blu ray and getting the message 'your display environment does not support protected content playback', but when I DO manage to get a disc to play, having trouble syncing video and audio.

I've been on the net this morning and looked at variuos threads on different sites and it would seem to be a common fault.

Basically there may be a problem with the HDMI cable clashing with HDCP (copy protection protocol) but also there might be an issue around 'dual display'.

My TV is fairly new (Sony KDL-40E4050) and so is the TP3, so there shouldn't be a problem, but just wondered if there was a setting on the tv/TP3 I should be addressing??

stevecundall
Visitor

hi ad

still struggling on, but think I can see light at the end of the tunnel......

Only today have I come accross the term HDCP from looking at other forums. I also noticed you had referred to it in an earlier posting.

you said you had to 'bypass my supposedly HDCP compliant HDMI switch and go in directly to my Bravia and then going into nVidia and selecting Display 2 only.'

I have an HDMI out port on the TP3, and an HDMI in on my Bravia - is this the problem?? how else did you connect?

I understand (i think) the problem with the dual screens, and how to swith to just the bravia (Fn+F7)

adski_uk
Visitor

Hi Steve,

Because my Bravia only has 2 HDMI inputs I bought an HDMI switcher which is supposed to be HDCP compliant ie allows the copy protection handshaking between the PC and the TV. I can't get it to display my PS3 at all and the PC would have the copy environment message, only SkyHD works correctly through it. Also if the PC went into standby or I rebooted then it would not display anything and would reset to using the standard VGA output and HDMI would not display anything any more.

By plugging straight from PC to the TV and going into the nVidia Control panel I managed to set it to use one display, choosing Display 2 which uses the HDMI connection as opposed to display 1 which is the VGA.

There is then a setting to change HD TV resolution lower down so I chose 1080p.

It seems from reading laptop forums that if they try to use an external display that blu-rays etc may not like it because it think's you're playing it on more than one output so it may be worth you checking that yours is set to use one display.

With my blu-ray audio problem I played Dark Knight and that played with 5.1 fine but Iron Man and Indy 4 (both Paramount) only did 2 channel so may be a Paramount thing and not the Vaio.

Ad