Join now - be part of our community!

VGX-XL201 => power suply out: replace or upgrade the case ???

profile.country.fr_BE.title
fremaas
New

VGX-XL201 => power suply out: replace or upgrade the case ???

Hello girls! :smileygrin:

I have a VGX-XL201 for 2 years now and I have made a lot of modification since I've got it. I change the CPU, the RAM, hard disk,... Thanks to the help of IT Troll, I changed my graphic card with a 8500GT and adapt the heatsink from the the original 7600. Last week, I would like to upgrade my graphic card again and... it was "a big mistake"!
I choose a Leadtek GT220 with 1GB DDR3. One week later, my power supply dye! I don't know if this is a direct consequence of the replacing of my graphic card but I'm very disappointed now! :slight_frown:

I look on the net to find a new (or use) power supply and it's almost impossible to find it. The model is DPS-290AB from Delta Electronic. Very, very, very hard to find. I saw a shop on the web that sold it for... 246 US Dollars => They are crazy !!! I call a repair center in my country and they can have it for almost 50 Euros. That's correct. But, the little problem is that they don't want sell me the power supply directly. I have to give my VAIO and they replace the power supply by themselve. So I have to pay almost 125 Euros for the handmade. So the replacing of the power supply cost me 175 Euros for a 300W power supply.

As you know, you can find power supplies for 30 Euros everywhere but with the specific shape of the original one, no other power supplies can be put in the VGX box! So, here is my dilem:

1) I can wait for a moment and check each day on eBay to find a DPS-290AB power supply and hope that the price is not too high.
2) I can hope that someone on this forum knows a way to buy this power supply without paying a technician to replace this ****** power supply :devil:
3) Or last choice, I think about a big modification of my VGX-XL201

I ask myself if it will be intersting and not to complicate to install a mini-ITX system in the box. I find a new mini-ITX motherboard that accept Intel 1156 CPU (Core i5, i7). http://www.materiel.net/ctl/ITX/52848-LANPARTY_MI_P55_T36.html. The size is only 17cm x 17 cm! So I think that is possible to place a normal power supply at the place of the original CPU heatsink with very few problem. There is a lot of very silent modular power supply on the market. I can use the Dremel to cut the frame at the back place the I/O back panel of the motherboard in place of USB, Firewire, LAN and optical connection of the VGX. I I can use the 2 empty PCI slot on the top of the box to put a full size PCI-Express and connect it to the motherboard with a flexible riser. and the CPU will be cooling with the Corsair H50 watercooling that is very efficiant with low noise and small size.

So here is the point that I consider positives and negatives with this big modding.

Positive:
- System more powerfull than the original
- Possibility to have more than 3GB of RAM (that is the maximum with the original motherboard)
- Possibility to have a faster CPU (the faster CPU on the original motherboard is the E6700)
- Possibilty to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, RAM,... each time that I need if the case modding is well made (adapt the back of the case to accept the backplate and place the hole for the mini-ITX motherboard on the VGX frame)
- Possibility to have a more powerfull power supply
- Possibility to use a faster graphic card without the limit of electric consumption
- Possibility to use the VAIO to play as a gaming machine

Negative:
- I lost all the front connector
- I have to put a USB infrared receiver for the remote (the internal can not be use anymore)
- I have to buy another wireless keyboard (the IRF module of the original is not working anymore)
- The system will be so quiet as the original ???
- Can I achieve to adapt perfectly the case for the new system, I don't know?

So, let me know what you think about my problem. Do you think that I can buy a new original motherboard for a "normal" price? Maybe do you know where can I find one? Do you think that is realistic to try to to moding the case to upgrade with a mini-ITX system?

Thanks for your help and your advices!
A+
Glad

28 REPLIES 28
fremaas
New

Hello guys,

I'm back with some news! Si I was very busy for all last week and I take 2 minutes today to call the Sony support by phone at the number that you give me Thalamus...and I have got a good news! The guy explain me that the power supply can be order for 55 euros with delivery charges include. He says me that I have to sign a "décharge", a paper to explain that I accpet all the risk of damages because it's an internal piece of the computer. So I'm waiting the email from the Sony support to order the power supply.

Thanks a lot for your help again and I tell you how the story finish for me in couple of days!

A+
Glad

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

The guy explain me that the power supply can be order for 55 euros with delivery charges include. He says me that I have to sign a "décharge", a paper to explain that I accpet all the risk of damages because it's an internal piece of the computer. So I'm waiting the email from the Sony support to order the power supply.

Excellent news.. :smileygrin:

Thanks a lot for your help again and I tell you how the story finish for me in couple of days!

You're welcome, yes please do..

fremaas
New

Hello,

Finally I receive my new power supply 2 weeks ago and... my VAIO still not working! :cry:
It seems that the problem was not the power supply but the motherboard. I can't see another explication! So now, I've decided to stop the bill... A new motherboard is too expensive and if the computer don't works after that, I will be very upset :devil:

I will wait some weeks/month before upgrading the case with a all new configuration and when it's running, I will post some photo of the process.

If someone here is interesting by a new power supply for the VAIO VGX series, I will sell it for 25 euros on eBay. That's the hall price of a new one. Thanks again for your help!

A+
Glad

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Finally I receive my new power supply 2 weeks ago and... my VAIO still not working!  :cry: 

That's not such good news.. :slight_frown:

ITTroll
Visitor

I'm sorry to hear that a new PSU didn't get you up and running again. I'd probably agree that it is probably time to start over now. I would be interested in buying your PSU as a spare though.

fremaas
New

Hello IT,

sorry for the time that I take for reply, I'm now working on my final project exam for my computer bachelor and that takes a lot of time :tongue:

I consider like you that there is a time to stop the bill and it is come. So I will by a 20 meters HDMI cable to connect my PC on my Bravia TV. My computer is located in the same room than the TV because I have a big living in 2 parts. One part for the office and another one for the TV corner. So, it will be cheaper for the first time to use the Media Center of my computer on the TV. In couple of month (when I finish my bachelor), I will modding the case with mini-ITX motherboard. With the new Core i3 and i5, the CPU have a integrated GPU that can read HD movie without any problem. I read some test on the net that the mini-ITX platform are really nice for HTPC. Powerfull enough for decoding HD movie and much more enrgy saving than the old Core 2 Duo E6700 thanks to the 32 nanometers burning!

I check to see if I can use the actual power supply in my futur modding HTPC but there is some PIN missing and most important, the PIN order is completely different! So I can use it again.

I you are interesting by my new, never used, power supply I can create an auction on eBay with "Direct Buying". I will sell it for 25 euros that I think is a good price, isn't it?

A+
Glad

ITTroll
Visitor

Glad,

The price sounds good depending on postage. I am based in the UK and I think you are in Belgium? I am actually visiting Bruges next month but I suspect that won't help.

IT Troll

fremaas
New

Hello IT,

I will check for the delivery price tomorrow and I tell you what. Bruges is a little far from my home (200 km) but if you go to Brussels for a day we can check for a "rendez-vous" to make the deal.

A+
Glad

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Hi Glad, would it be possible to list how to obtain the PSU from Sony? Do we phone their parts department for instance? My Vaio VGX-XL201 is running OK right now, but PSUs do blow on occasion, and it would be nice to have the info to hand, as we'd struggle to live without our Media Centre now! Did you sell your PSU on ebay in the end?

Thanks, Tony

ITTroll
Visitor

Did you sell your PSU on ebay in the end?

I'm still hoping he is going to sell it to me. Just awaiting the postage costs.