Join now - be part of our community!

Will this Universal adaptor work with my Vaio F series

SOLVED
profile.country.da_DK.title
Unfr4m3d
Visitor

Will this Universal adaptor work with my Vaio F series

Hello

I just got my new Vaio F series today, and I was thinking of getting a universal adaptor for when I need to carry my laptop with me (e.g. Class and stuff) and then leave the Original charger at home and ready for use when I get home.

The one I have been looking at is the Cooler Master USNA 120 http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6739

It’s pretty small and light compared to the one that comes with the Vaio, so it would be great for traveling.

The power adaptor that comes with my Vaio has an output of 19,5V - 7,7 A

Where the one from Cooler Master is 18 - 20Vdc / 19Vdc 5.79A and provides 120 Watt

My question is, if it provides enough power, to keep the Vaio running and charge the battery at the same time?

Or will it not charge the battery but at least keep it from draining?

Or what will happen?

Hope someone can answer my question and thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Unfr4m3d,

A replacement power adaptor should have the same voltage and equal to or greater amperage output provided by the original.

The replacement adaptor you propose may suffer damage if the amperage demand from the notebook is greater than the adaptor is capable of supplying - melted cables or complete failure.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Unfr4m3d,

A replacement power adaptor should have the same voltage and equal to or greater amperage output provided by the original.

The replacement adaptor you propose may suffer damage if the amperage demand from the notebook is greater than the adaptor is capable of supplying - melted cables or complete failure.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
tripodzid
Visitor

It should work with all series since it is universal, right?

Business is the game!!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

tripodzid wrote:

It should work with all series since it is universal, right?

Business is the game!!

Wrong.

There are many definitions for ‘Universal’, one of which is ‘Adapted or adjustable to many sizes or mechanical uses’.

The seller can therefore claim this as a universal adaptor as there are adaptor tips supplied that will fit most manufactures notebooks.

Whether this is suitable for the power requirements of the notebook is a separate issue and in this case possibly not.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
Rachel_H
Visitor

I'm currently looking for a new charger for my NS series.

I've just been told by a well known technology supplier that Sony laptops are nutoriously hard to 'match' with universal chargers due to the laptops not recognising the adapter once it is plugged in...does anyone know this is true?

They said it was all to do with the connection plug etc, i was advised to bring my laptop in so they can test which charger is recognised by my laptop-seems a bit strange?!

profile.country.ro_RO.title
printularabiei
Visitor

I know that Sony vaio laptops have an program that recognize original baterry and doesn„t work with another baterryes like the universal ones....