Join now - be part of our community!

XL201 - output 720i?

shenyap
Visitor

XL201 - output 720i?

Dear All

Help! I just bought the XL201 and was very excited to hook it up to my rear projection TV (which only accepts 720i) only to find out that picture disappears after the boot screen. Does the unit support 720i via component? If so, how do I access setup if I can't see anything at the moment? 😞 pls help...

Regards
Shen

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Shen,

The XL-Series only work properly with a HDMI connection. It will only output protected media to a HDCP compliant display and this must have a HDMI connection.

For DRM reasons the output via Component is limited to 625i/p unless you have a HDCP compliant TV. All you can do is to select the screen resolution to one lower than 625p.

If you XL-201 was sold to you for use with a Component connection, I would take this up with the vendor.

:angry:

shenyap
Visitor

Thanks for your response. Appreciate it.

Does this mean that it would not display from startup via component? I saw the 'Windows is loading' screen, and then the screen went blank. Can only imagine that it switched resolution once booted up... 😞

You are right,.... if this is the case, then I should have been told that it's almost impossible to setup via component/without a proper LCD/plasma TV

!!!!!!! Sooo disappointed!

Regards
Shen

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Shen,

When you start your Vaio it uses the default VGA screen driver (640 X 480) for the screens before Windows is fully loaded. It is Windows that then sets your screen resolution just before the logon screen.

If you set the output to 640 X 480 in Windows you should continue to see the output after Windows loads.

Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Adapter -> List All Modes and choose "640 X 480 TrueColour 32bit".

Results may be disappointing - have a few words with your supplier, the XL-210 is not suitable for anything non-HDCP compliant.

:wink: