Join now - be part of our community!

HELP PLEASE -- OCCASIONAL SCRATCHY SOUND (like static) EMANATES FROM SPEAKER AT END OF CALLS

JanieD
Visitor

HELP PLEASE -- OCCASIONAL SCRATCHY SOUND (like static) EMANATES FROM SPEAKER AT END OF CALLS

Hello...I have occasionally noticed a lingering, scratchy noise (like static) out of the speaker that will continue after some calls (not every) have been ended.  When it occurs, it will usually continue until I tap the power button.  It will stop and everything goes back to normal -- even with subsequent calls, but I'm wondering why it should happen at all.  This is an intermittent issue -- does not occur after ending EVERY call...or even regularly when ending calls from specific numbers or contacts, AND I don't think it has to do with being maxed on the volume setting because it has happened at lesser levels as well, making it difficult to understand what triggers it. 

The phone has never been dropped and beyond its protective hard-shell/rubberized combo case and tempered glass, I  also keep the entire phone in a full, additionally padded, wet-suit material sleeve because it's such a large screen that I have opted to take neurotic measures about protecting from Day-1.  So, believe me...this thing is ALWAYS being treated with kid gloves!

Has anyone else experienced this?  Does anyone have any guidance to offer?  Thank you!

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@JanieD

Does it only happen during phonecalls or while playing music?

JanieD
Visitor

Hi, uliwooly ...thank you for asking.  I don't believe it happens when I play music via my app -- or when I close the music app.  Only seems to kick in when ending some phone calls.  And, of course if I try to duplicate the event, I can't.  That's what makes it so hard to pinpoint what could be setting it off.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@JanieD

that might be a network issue 

JanieD
Visitor

Hi uliwooly...do you mean via my carrier?  Like via the T-Mobile network?  I didn't think of that as a possibility -- thought it would be related to hardware (or this user's stupidity...).

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@JanieD

That's the thing, since this doesn't happen all the time, it could be due to network coverage issues or you could be near close to a strong EM field 

JanieD
Visitor

Hi uliwooly...that would make a world of sense!  But it doesn't seem to happen consistently at specific locations, either.  It's happened sporadically when I've been at home, on the road, at work, outside, inside, stationary or moving about -- whenever it decides to...and not all the time -- just once in awhile.  Then I stop it by pushing the on/off button so the screen goes black...and then for the next call (or two or ten, twenty, etc.) all end normally.  About the only consistency I think there might be is that the calls involved had speaker active when the call ends -- but not on EVERY call that ends with the speaker active .  I don't believe I've ever heard this happening on calls ending when the speaker has not been active.

Maybe it's just a little added "character" trait I've been graced with on my particular phone.  Perhaps I should be looking at it as a unique (albeit unwanted) bonus gift.  It isn't an ongoing problem (yet) -- I'm just hoping it isn't an early warning sign of something likely to become a more consistent/pervasive or unstoppable issue over time -- like blowing a stereo speaker.   

JanieD
Visitor

...and may I say this, Kurt Cobain or not...I'm loving you for who you are -- a person who is caring enough to lend their time trying to help another with a really confusing problem!

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@JanieD

There's something else that you could try, borrow a SIM card, that could help narrow down the issue. 

Nickj65
Visitor

I've had the same problem and sent the phone to sony. They say nothing is wrong with the phone.