Join now - be part of our community!

Sony photo album widget

Rty50n
Visitor

Sony photo album widget

I have just changed from a M4 Aqua to a XA1 and found that the Sony photo album widget isn't available and I can't add a shortcut either? Is this an error with the Nougat operating system or have Sony removed it? I'd like to know as I really liked the photos being on my home screen.

42 REPLIES 42
profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

Hello @Rty50n and welcome to the community!

There's a widget on my XZ with Nougat called "Photos and Videos", it should do the same trick as the old Album widget.

Rty50n
Visitor

Thanks for the reply but that's the widget that is missing from the XA1. I didn't name it right in the original question sorry.

profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

@Rty50n

I don't have an XA1 to check if it's there or not, but I'll try to get more information for you.

profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

@Rty50n

It appears that the same widget was removed from Xperia XZs after feedback that users don't use it that much. I don't know if the same applies to XA1 but I requested further details.

UPDATE: it is confirmed that this widget was removed from a number of 2017 Xperia models, including XA1.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

You can use apps off play store such as https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hikaru.photowidgetad

But many of these are like a slideshow.

For the official Sony one, you could try googling Sony photos and videos widget, it may well be on a mirror site for apk's

r4b3
Visitor

I miss the widget too, but obviously the only ones who use this widget are we 😉

giz02
Visitor

I used it too. And miss it. 

Xperia XZ Premium

@r4b3 wrote:

I miss the widget too, but obviously the only ones who use this widget are we 😉

Lingonberry
Visitor

I'm also very disappointed at the lack of this widget on the xa1. Sony, return it

DaveKoekebacker
Visitor

Just today I received my xz premium black edition and switched everything from my z3 to my xzplus just as i did from my z1 to my z3

This feature was amazing. Given the fact sony put so much emphasis on the camera for their flagships, how could they remove the one feature that gave ease of access to the taken pictures. 

For me this is very disappointing and sadly the mirrored apk files found online wouldnt show the widget. And i dont plan to root my one day old phone Slightly_frowning_Face