Join now - be part of our community!

Touch screen issues

SOLVED
MechPhil
Visitor

Touch screen issues

I know this has been done rather a few times, but here we go again. I bought my Xperia xa1 from amazon and am incredibly disappointed! This is my 3rd Sony, and the first disaster. The touch screen was insensitive from day 1 and no amount of adjustment could fix this. The phone is about 17 months old now, and due to where I bought it, I have no support to send it back to. The right edge of the screen became a problem first. Letters 0, p, etc. Then the top edge died, so no getting to notifications. Now the bottom edge with the navigation buttons has died.

When you test the screen in the settings menu, all is fine, and I have tried all the other suggestions, but to no avail. Is there anything I can do to fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MechPhil
Visitor

Problem solved all! It took me such a long time, but I finally have a solution! As you say it has something to do with the Google keyboard. ON MY NEW GOOGLE PIXEL 3A!! 

So sad that after an 8 year relationship I will never buy a Sony again, but the fact that Sony had ABSOLUTELY no interest in attempting to fix this issue really irked me.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@MechPhil 

I'm sorry to hear that, have you tested the phone in safe mode and also remove any protective case, film and/or glass 

MechPhil
Visitor

Yup. I have tried all the suggestions found here and elsewhere. Safe mode, factory reset, removed all cases and covers, cleaned the screen, adjusted sensitivity, restarted without the sd card, hard restart, etc. 

This seems to be a very common issue. As I say, this is my 3rd Sony and I have always found them to be superior to other products, but this one is just a dud. 

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@MechPhil 

I'm sorry to hear that, does this happen when the phone gets hot or with a particular app or game?

MechPhil
Visitor

No, this is all the time. It is getting progressively worse. 

Markh85
Visitor

I have 6 month old xa1 my second Sony hone as impressed with my revios one. But this is unfortunately a lemon, as you can see thee touch screen is dead about 5 mm round the edge, so p doesn't work, thank god for auto insert but it takes ages and erase key very intermittent is this a common fault and what can be done would ut in uestion Mark, but that doesn't work and nor does the other side, for cue 

MechPhil
Visitor

Unfortunately this seems to be a very common issue. If you do a google search, it seems like 1000's of these phones have the exact same problem. And Sony always have the same recommendations: Restart, remove the SD card, clean the screen, do a screen sensitivity test, start in safe mode and see if it's better, factory reset, remove all protective glass and covers, factory reset again, clean the screen again. At some point, they must realise that literally 1000's of people have this issue, and their "advice" hasnt fixed a SINGLE ONE, by the looks of it.

This is just simply a dud. Compared to my previous Xperia Z3, the display is also not of great quality, but then the XA1 isn't the "top of the range" as the Z3 was in it's day.

Super disappointing.

Mammad_potter
Visitor

Exactly Confounded_Face

Gazz60
Visitor

Does your screen work OK in the lock screen mode?.. Mine does... Its a firmware issue! 

Mammad_potter
Visitor

Yup. It works. So how do we fix it?