Join now - be part of our community!

AR21M WLAN Problem

ryukin
Visitor

AR21M WLAN Problem

Hi, I bought my vaio a month ago but im having trouble with the wlan.
When i boot up the laptop, it connects to my router and the internet for about 10mins (sometimes even 20mins - woo!) then cuts me off and the green wlan light goes off OR starts flickering.

The only way to re-connect is to restart.

I have turned off the bluetooth option incase of interference, but nothing changed. I thought it may have been the router and i may have had trouble with signal (even though im only on the floor above it), so i bought a new router (old one linksys - new one netgear) but im having the same trouble.

If this post doesnt make sense for any reason let me know - im typing it as fast as i can before it cuts me off AGAIN!!

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ryukin and welcome to Club Vaio.

Does this happen mainly when on battery? If so try this: -

1. Click Start, Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel dialog box, click Performance and Maintenance, System.
3. The System Properties dialog box appears, click the Hardware tab.
4. In the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
5. In the Device Manager locate the Network Adapter category in the list and expend it.
6. In the Network Adapter category, double click Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection.
7. Select the Advanced tab and select the Power Management option in the list.
8. Deselect the Default check box and set the option to level is MAX.
9. Click OK to apply the new settings

:wink:

ryukin
Visitor

Brilliant, thanks for the reply! I have it plugged into the mains pretty much all the time but it has the same problem wether its plugged in or not. However, I have folowed your instructions anyway, so i'll see if that works.

Thanks for your help!

ryukin
Visitor

Ok, it didnt work. Any other ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Not sure what to suggest.

You could try changing the channel on the router - something may be interfering with the signal on the pre-set channel.

Check you are not close to ant other electrical equipment - mobile or dect phones - so many things use a similar frequency.

As a last act of desperation, you could download the latest PRO/Wireless drivers from INTEL DOWNLOADS as there is no update on Vaio-Link. Click on Additional Downloads (top left).

:thinking:

ryukin
Visitor

I updated the drivers and that seems to have done the trick! Thanks all your help!