Join now - be part of our community!

Performance problem sz3 pausing harddisk

mschipperheyn
Visitor

Performance problem sz3 pausing harddisk

Hi,

I have a performance problem with my sz3. The harddisk keeps pausing during intensive,long disk reads (e.g. startup, playing video's). You can see the harddisk light going out every other one or two seconds or so. I even notice it during playing of a Quicktime movie. Every other second or so, the sound stutters because of this.

I'm sure this is software related. The question is: how do you debug this issue and pinpoint it to the cuprit? I've been suspecting the antivirus suite, but I would not expect it to check every bit of data that is read from the harddisk. I haven't done a full system scan yet. Hmm, perhaps that could be the reason. I'll give that a go. Anyway, does anyone have other ideas?

Kind regards,

Marc

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Have you gone into Control Panel > Power Schemes and set it to performance?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is DMA (Direct Memory Access) enabled?

To check that DMA is enabled, go to Device Manager and expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers' and double-click on 'Primary IDE Channel' -> 'Advanced Settings'.

:thinking:

mschipperheyn
Visitor

Well, the power scheme is set to VAIO optimized. I assume that is the right one. The machine is set to Speed.
DMA mode seems to be enabled.

Kind regards,

Marc

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Marc,

In the screen where you have Device ) and Device 1, you may have 'DMA if Available' selected, but in the box below does it actually say that a DMA Mode is being used?

:thinking:

mschipperheyn
Visitor

I have two items identified as Primary IDE Channel.
The first one has the following settings:
Device 0
Device type: Auto detection
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 5

Device 1
Current transfer mode: Not Applicable

The second one has the following settings
Device 0
Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 2

Device 1
Current transfer mode: Not Applicable

Kind regards,

Marc

mschipperheyn
Visitor

Well, after turning all non-Windows services one by one, it seems the culprit is the VAIO Event Service. After turning it off, a long quicktime runs flawlessly where before it stuttered ever other x seconds. This service has been given me more problems. When I reboot my machine I have to cycle the service to enable the function keys to work.

Is there any way to update this software?

Kind regards,

Marc

kee-lo_

Suprise suprise, typical - I hate that program

mschipperheyn
Visitor

Problem is, I need it to manage my function keys. I assume there's no other way? Well, I'm going to try to reinstall it from the drivers and utilities package.

kee-lo_

I think you can just simply disable the service:

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm