Join now - be part of our community!

Sony photo album widget

Rty50n
Visitor

Sony photo album widget

I have just changed from a M4 Aqua to a XA1 and found that the Sony photo album widget isn't available and I can't add a shortcut either? Is this an error with the Nougat operating system or have Sony removed it? I'd like to know as I really liked the photos being on my home screen.

42 REPLIES 42
Dapaintrain99
Visitor

I'm also pretty disappointed that this widget was gone it was so nice on my Z3 and my z5 I thought surely it would be in the xz premium. 

GB6
Visitor

I also miss the album widget on my new XZs. And strange enough I got the camera widget, which would show up after a day or two after installing the apk, after I got it from third party. Then it was suddenly there and it works like on my old Sony. But not the same with the Album (or Foto and Video, as it was called later), after installing the apk, it doesn't show, even after restarts and waiting a day or two.

Sony does itself a bad job this way!!

jeremy-o
Visitor

Wow, what a disappointment! I just switched to an XA1 - it's the third Sony phone I've had, because I find the software and hardware great. I loved the album widget for quickly finding and sharing photos and to find out it has been scrapped is a real bummer. Let's hope there's a good alternative somewhere... Any suggestions welcome! 

profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert
jeremy-o
Visitor

@Quester: as the initial poster suggested, this is a slideshow, and doesn't have the same kind of simple carousel function of the Photos and Videos widget. It seems bizarre, but I can't find anything else to do the job, and old widget .apks don't work either.

Such a shame - finding recent shots used to be so easy! 

DagonSoul
Visitor

Honestly what happened to giving the end user a choice. I used it everyday so please bring it back for us! 

rndmrtl
Visitor

Same for me. I'm very disapointed that it has been removed.

I think however that it would be very nice for Sony to publish the source of those abandonned widgets in GitHub or another source repository, so other developers could rebuild them.

profile.country.DE.title
gepert
New

I've changed now from Z3 compact to XZ1 and I'm extremly angry about Sonys customers paternalism, as I realized this problem of missing the Sony photo album widget. At least they should have provided the widget for installation on demand!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucky26
Visitor

Idem passage du Z5 c au XZ1 c et disparition du widget photo et vidéo.

J'ai cherché longtemps une alternative mais rien. 

Sony pouvez-vous faire une mise à jour pour remettre ce widget très important. 

Merci

Same passage from Z5 c to XZ1 c and disappearance of the photo and video widget.
I have been looking for an alternative for a long time but nothing.
Sony can you do an update to put this widget very important.
Thank you

GT

izznix
Visitor

Seriously SONY, you remove features used daily and which make SONY phones special and keeps me buying SONY.. 

Disappointed