Join now - be part of our community!

BBC Iplayer not working on my BDP S480 blu ray

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
pattierb
New

BBC Iplayer not working on my BDP S480 blu ray

I have had this for less than a week and everything else seems to be perfect but even though iplayer is listed and i can navigate to the channels screen it will not go any further.  Is there anything i can do about this as i really wanted this option on the player and am feeling more than a little cheated.  Bought from Freemans catalogue this week and have checked the firmware and it is up to date.

42 REPLIES 42
MikeyParr
Visitor

Catmambo,

My systerm only has a problem with iPlayer, and Demand5. Sky News and Sony Entertainment work fine.

MikeyParr
Visitor

Progress, I think,

I contacted my ISP (BE who are owned by O2) who said they were having problems with connections to the BBC and asked me to do some tests. I ran a ping test and found that other sites were perfect, but for pings to www.bbc.co.uk, 90% timed out with no reply.

To run the test open a command prompt and enter the command ping www.bbc.co.uk -n 50

You should get 50 replys something like "Reply from 94.236.39.2: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=53" If you get 50 like this your connection to the BBC is probably OK and the issue is something else.

If you get a lot like "Request timed out." the problem is a network issue between you and the BBC and is probably for your ISP to fix.

It would be interesting for people with this problem to run this test and report here. Also, note your ISP and we can see if it is an O2 or BBC problem.

My result was 27 timed out and 3 correct responses.

When I ran the test on www.google.com I got 30 correct responses.

I also found this thread on the O2 forum. -  http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=401723

Message was edited by: MikeyParr

Catmambo
Contributor

Good post - thanks..

EdinKent
Visitor

Yes ping requests time out here too. 100% packet loss.

Browsing the bbc on Firefox is very slow, but works just about. Iplayer also works if I play the programme within the browser window - seems to keep going ok with no buffering. When I use iplayer desktop to download thats when the problems start. 0kb/s.. If I  try dowloading the WMV version of a programme (which doesn't use the iplayer desktop app) then I am getting between 4kb/s (yep, KILObites) and 20 kb/s and very stuttery.

Instead of ping try using tracert from the command line:  tracert www.bbc.co.uk

The default is 30 hops which should be enough to show all the nodes between you and the bbc and which ones are timing out. For me, it never completes the trace, seems to stick at the last hurdle. If I try google it completes in 11 hops.

Does this put the blame on O2..? I'm not sure still. 100% packet loss on ping requests yet still able to browse the site and play programmes on iplayer within the browser window.. It could be O2 IF their traffic management system as gone crazy!  It could still be at the BBC end. There could be 2 or even 3 problems causing this. As end users all we can do is oggle at the symptoms..

Message was edited by: EdinKent

Message was edited by: EdinKent

MikeyParr
Visitor

Hi Edinkent,

Yes your symptoms from the BBC are similar to mine.

Be/O2 also got me to do a Tracert test.I got similar results . Interestingly, I have just done a test and the failure seems to be after a BBC router - bbc-vip112.telhc.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.67], which seems to finger the BBC. But maybe I am just "oggling the symptoms".

Might be worth you contacting O2 and asking them to sort it out.

lancman21
Visitor

Seems to be a pattern developing here. I have the same problem: Brand new s480, O2 broadband, everything works except iplayer. Mine is slightly different in that I cannot even attempt to play a video as there is no 'play' button showing on screen. Where is it supposed to be?

MikeyParr
Visitor

The play button should appear in the middle of the image when the programmes play page is shown. However  one of the failure modes is when this button does not appear. On my system if I back out and return it usually fixes this issue.

EdinKent
Visitor

Just as a footnote to raising the issue with Sony support last Friday, I got this from them yesterday:

http://sonycic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1675/kw/iplayer

I don't know if this is related to the same issue or different ones.

I'll start chasing O2 later MikeyParr as I am not home now. But really I fear until the cause is properly known we could wind up in an endless loop of buck-passing. Sony haven't done this (in so many words), but looking at O2 forums they seem to be, and the beeb are being as vague as ever...

Ultimately however I feel that if a product is sold with a list of features, but one or more of them doesn't work, then the problem is the manufacturer's who made the claim in the first place.. Sony. Lets face it, we are all clients or customers of someone, even Sony. They must have a contract with the BBC to provide iplayer, so I do feel the ball is in Sony's court to provide us with better help. If we could just get to the cause, then thats a start.

verdig
Visitor

Working for me now. Both BBC iPlayer and Demand 5 are fine on my BDP-S185.

BE broadband forum reporting that traffic has been re-routed as a fix for this problem.

Presume it will be working for O2 users also. :slight_smile:

Message was edited by: verdig

Message was edited by: verdig

posheyes
Visitor

I have the same problem as lancman21. BBC iplayer was fine until a week or so ago. Now there is no play button. Logging out and back in to iplayer makes no difference.